What is a Readathon? VFL’s Readathon celebrates reading and lifelong learning while generating financial support for the library. Each reader will read aloud from their favorite books or magazines. Some readers will include zany surprises ranging from fun costumes to family-friendly jokes or even their well-behaved pets. Fiction, non-fiction, original works, poetry and more will be featured. All readers will be videotaped. Those who donate to the Readathon will receive a link to the Readathon videos.
When and Where is the Readathon? Our first Readathon will be held on June 27th. You can invite as many guests as you wish to attend the in-person portion from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm in the Malone Room at VFL. Readers will be given a specific time slot to read, which will be twenty minutes long.
How does this work?
- First, we’ll ask you who you’d like to be on your team. Readers can be one person or form a team of readers. Teams can include as many people as you like. Not everyone on the team needs to read aloud, that’s up to you. Other members of the team can cheer you on, help you fundraise, or pick the books and materials you share.
- We’ll provide a fundraising webpage specifically for you and you can customize it with our help. Send it to anyone you’d like to encourage to support the library. You can request donations in person, through email, or via social media. OR you can fundraise in person instead, and we’ll enter the amount of any gifts you raise online so the audience can see how much this event helps the library.
- Each team is asked to raise $100 or more for the library. Top fundraisers will be eligible to win prizes. If you’re concerned about meeting your goal, Jess is happy to share tips and suggestions toward reaching this goal.
- Jess will reach out to you ahead of time to schedule your read aloud timeslot.
- Plan your reading performance. Each reader gets a 20-minute timeslot. What will you read? Will you wear a costume? Do you have anything you want to tell the audience about why the library is important to you? Is there a special skill or talent you’d like to share to entertain the audience?
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before your scheduled time to read.
- Enjoy your time reading. We’re so very grateful for your help.
- We hope you’re able to join us for the after party with library staff beginning around 6:00 pm in the Malone Room. We’d love to thank you in person!